Searching for the Best Kayak For Big Guys? This buyers guide was created by a big fella for big fellas.
So you’re a big person who wants to go kayaking but you’re hesitant because of your size. This is understandable, as many kayaks aren’t meant to carry big loads – they are meant to be light and maneuverable so they can traverse wild waters. You probably think that if you sit in one of those little things, you’ll capsize.
Your fears are well-founded. But, don’t worry! You oughtn’t to be afraid of the water for that reason. You just need a kayak that would fit you. Luckily, we’ve got a list of the top five kayaks that fit big guys like yourself.
When purchasing a kayak, you need to consider a few things.
What to Look for in the Best Kayak For Big Guys:
- Wide Kayaks: This one is self-explanatory. The wider the kayak, the more stable it is on the water. And the more stable it is, there is a less chance it will capsize. But, this can happen regardless, and it is advisable you attach a safety strap to the cockpit’s cowling and you should always go with at least one other person if the need arises and you need help.
- Weight Capacity: If you are a big guy, then you will need a relatively high weight capacity. The models we reviewed are all solid and will help with buoyancy with your stature.
- Style: While there are many to choose from including Touring, Sea, Inflatable, to name a few, we recommend a Sit In style for big guys. Sit in kayaks have a very efficient hull design, which allows for greater storage – think fishing gear, dry bag, food/drink, etc. They also allow the paddler to stay dryer than other styles, which can be nice if you plan on kayaking throughout the year. We have also included a few Sit On styles on the list, as they are ideal for anyone is like to play in the surf. They can also be ideal for fishing as they provide a sturdy platform to cast the line from.
- Material: Kayaks come it a variety of materials these days, with the most popular being plastic, fiberglass, Kevlar, carbon, and inflatable plastic. Plastic is our top pick as it is the most durable and most affordable.
And there you have it. Now let’s get on with the list.
Old Town is one of the most famous companies that produces kayaks and boats, so you know that this item is top-notch. The Heron Recreational Kayak is very comfortable, as it features an adjustable flex seat with extra padding. On top of that, the kayak is pretty wide, and the cockpit is very spacious, so you won’t feel cramped.
The kayak features great support for your feet too. The Track foot braces and thigh pads will keep your legs locked firmly in a very comfortable position, thus improving your control of the vessel properly. The kayak features a set of comfortable carrying handles, and, since it weighs about 48 pounds, it should not be too difficult to lift and carry onto the water.
The kayak also comes with a storage hatch on the stern, so you can put a few things you will need to make the great afternoon even greater.
What Users Are Saying:
- Kayak is very light, can be carried with a moderate amount of strain
- Very versatile, able to handle most circumstances in the water
- Very good maneuverability
- Adjustable foot support works magnificently to reduce strain
- Very stable, does not tip easily
- Could use a bit more padding on the seat
The second entry on our list is the Dagger Zydeco 11.0 kayak. Dagger Kayaks is another well-known brand that produces very high-quality kayaking equipment and boats. This kayak certainly lives up to the tale.
The kayak is very long, measuring at 11 feet and 2 inches, and is 27.75 inches wide. That being said, you would think that the kayak is less maneuverable, but that’s not the case. The kayak handles well in rough waters, and its width provides a wide and steady platform. Also, this kayak, being made for larger people, has a maximum load of 325 pounds.
The cockpit is quite spacious to house a fairly large person. The stern features a watertight hatch that allows you to store your stuff in it. The weight of the boat is 48.3 pounds, making it viable for carrying and lugging with moderate effort.
What Users Are Saying:
- Very roomy cockpit
- Adjustable seating and foot support allow for great control of the boat
- Very maneuverable for a boat of this size
- Perfect for big guys
- Handles like a dream in calm or rough waters
As far as sit-on-top one man models, you can’t do better than the Ocean Frenzy Kayak. The kayak is nice and wide and provides ample support to plus size persons who would like to take it for a spin.
The kayak’s maximum capacity is 275-325 pounds, making it perfect for larger people. The kayak provides good leg room, so you can stretch your legs nicely and relax. The boat is 9 feet in length and weighs 43 pounds, making it quite compact and light to carry around. The seat is a Comfort Plus seat that provides 4-way adjustability and padding of your back.
The boat features a stern tank with removable bungee cords and removable bungees on the bow. It also features carry handles on the bow, stern and the side of the boat.
What Users Are Saying:
- Very stable on the water, not easily tipped or sunk
- Very sturdy, the hull is of excellent make allowing for a very long life span
- Very light and easy to carry
- One of my favorite things I have ever purchased
If you’re looking for an affordable kayak that doesn’t skim on quality, you’ve found it. The Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 kayak is the top dog of budget kayaks. A large and open cockpit allows for a sizable person to be seated in a deluxe adjustable seat with great back support and ample padding.
The kayak features top-notch leg braces that keep your legs firmly in place and allows the ability to maneuver the kayak around and generate power when paddling. The hull is made of a UV-stabilized Fortiflex high-density polyethylene so that the boat can be as sturdy and stable as possible. The hull is also made with a great storage with shock cord rigging on the stern.
The hull of the kayak is affixed with carrying handles for easier manual transport. It measures 10 feet in length and weighs 40 pounds, making it very easy to carry around. Overall, a shoo-in for any best kayak for big guys list.
- Good maneuverability and stability
- Great hull durability
- Plenty of room in the cockpit
- Very affordable price
- Very lightweight
And last but not least is this baby right here. The Ocean Kayak Sunrise 12ft Kayak is, unlike the others, a tandem kayak – it is very spacious and can be used by a single person, or by up to two adults and a child. To this end, the kayak offers 375-425 weight capacity to be able to withstand the combined weight.
The kayak features a cockpit on the bow, stern and in the middle for solo paddling. The two adult cockpits are furbished with two Comfort Plus adjustable seats with back support and ample padding. The hull is made with a special shape so it can be more easily stored. The cockpits are made so that there is enough legroom to go around.
The kayak is 12 feet long and weighs 69 pounds, making it the longest and the heaviest kayak on our list.
What Users Are Saying:
- Very stable and maneuverable for its size
- Best multipurpose kayak on the market
- Not just tandem, great for solo rides too
- So stable
- Purchased two. Most smooth kayak I have ever had
Table of Contents
- 1 What to Look for in the Best Kayak For Big Guys:
- 2 Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Heron 9XT Recreational Kayak
- 3 Dagger Kayaks Zydeco 11.0 Kayak
- 4 Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak
- 5 Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Sit-in Kayak
- 6 Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak